Temporary Employee Evaluation
Posted on: February 21, 2018
Finding the perfect match for a position within your company can be challenging. The temp-to-hire staffing option is a great way to assess if a particular employee is a good fit for your company. As an employer, you should treat every day as an interview with temporary employees. Observing their work habits such as time management, responsibility, enthusiasm, and communication is the most effective method of performance appraisal.
Benefits of Performance Appraisal
Employee evaluation is a common practice across many different industries. When staffing through employment services, your employee may begin as a temp worker. Performance appraisals are very important for temporary employees. There are many advantages for both the staffing agency and the temp employee for having performance reviews:
- Expectations for that individual will be definite. This will avoid any surprises within the end result.
- Recognition is key to keeping employees engaged. When you notice your temp worker making substantial progress this is a good way to praise them.
- Gives the employee the opportunity to improve their weaknesses. You will be able to identify and guide employees that are struggling to keep yourself and the employee aware of their shortfalls.
- Improves employee retention. Paying attention to the needs of your employees will produce a more desirable work atmosphere.
Methods of Performance Appraisal
There are numerous ways to approach an employee evaluation for temporary and permanent employees at the end of the sentence. Below are methods of performance appraisal that Labor Systems consider to be the most effective:
- Reoccurring employee evaluation. Keep the communication window open between you and your employee. At the end of each evaluation, summarize the pros and cons of each evaluation to assist in the hiring decision making process.
- Observe habits. Actions speak louder than words. Pay attention to what your employee does on a daily basis such as meeting deadlines, level of focus, willingness, and attitude.
- Go to lunch. Get to know your employee as a person. This will show you if the employee fits in to your company culture, vision and goals.
- Assess critical incidents. Determine how consequential any critical incidents have been for the company.
- Make a list. Weigh out what is important to you as an employer. List the top characteristics and skills you desire for the specific position then compare this list to the employee’s characteristics and skills.
Every day should be treated as an interview for your temp-to-hire employee. Discovering their talent and personality should go beyond reviewing their resume. A staffing agency’s main purpose is to match the right candidate to the job position. Labor Systems is an industry leader with over 30 years of experience in temporary staffing. We are temporary staffing pros focused on matching the right temporary employee for the right jobs without affecting a business’s day-to-day productivity.